Friday, August 24, 2012

Pregnancy: Week 26

The Husband and I have conquered the Ikea furniture!  At last! 
I was so excited I didn't even bother picking up all of his tools before taking these photos.  
(that changing table to the right will eventually be painted...)


When it's all said and done, we're pretty happy with our purchases from Ikea.  I had heard good things about the Hemnes line and there was a sale that allowed me to buy new (vs. craigslist) and not feel guilty about the money.  Although I would have re-finished/painted something from Craigslist, I think this saved us a lot of time, energy and money.  I like the white more than I even expected in her room and the design is simple enough to (hopefully) last her a long time.  

My only complaint is that one of the backs of the drawers wasn't included in our box.  This meant I had to drive back to Ikea (it's a long drive...) and get a replacement part.  I could have waited for them to mail it - but I was getting antsy to check this off of the "to do" list.  

 I also picked up a few of Ikea's drawer organizers.  While her things are still so tiny, I think these will help keep the socks, hats, headbands, pacifiers all separate and organized.  

I do love that these dressers come with a design on the bottom of the drawers.  It's a nice touch.  

I've also got The Husband on board with the cloth diapers.  His only request was an all-in-one style.  I can't blame him, as these are the most like disposable, without actually disposing of them.  
We went to a store and looked at several styles and brands, but we came home with a clear favorite:
Bum Genius Freetimes

They have two 'flaps' inside each one is connected to the diaper on the respective end.  They allow for additional stuffing (for heavy wetters, or overnight).  We also preferred the snap vs. velcro - as we're hoping these diapers will get us through more than one kiddo.  


We went ahead and purchased our first three cloth diapers.  I just love them!
Because these are AIO, I don't anticipate them fitting baby girl as a newborn.  Our plan is to start with disposables as we get our footing as new parents.  Once she's big enough - we'll start the transition into cloth.  That's why we're holding off on purchasing too many CD  items now.  I want to make sure they're going to work well for her - and that it's something realistic for us.  

The Husband also installed our fancy new light dimmer/fan dimmer switch.  He did it one night while I worked late - and said it wasn't too much of a hassle.  
I really like the functionality of this, but my only complaint is that the fan seems to have a "hum" when the light is on.  That wasn't an issue before this was installed.  I'm not sure what is causing the humming, but it's annoying.  I haven't decided if it's a deal breaker or not.  Asking The Husband to un-install it doesn't sound like I want to do quite yet.  

This is the new light switch.  The final plate (that covers the screws) hasn't been installed.  The Husband wants me to be *sure* it's going to stay first. 

In non-photographic news, we attended our first Bradley class this week.  I think it's going to be really good for us.  It was nice to carve out two hours in the middle of the week for The Husband and I to focus just on each other and our growing family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment